I love blogs. So, I’ll confess, one of my favorite things to do is open my google reader and catch up on all the latest in health, wellness, fitness, fashion, weddings, and diy projects. I “star” all articles that I want to look into, or use as future inspiration for a post, and I usually find a few things that I want to try out, or incorporate into my life.
So, when one of my favorite lifestyle, workout and healthy living bloggers Think Pretty Thoughts posted about her routine of drinking Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV), I couldn’t get to Whole Foods fast enough.
All this may sound crazy, don’t worry – I’ll walk you through the steps you need to know to get yourself started on this (not so) tasty little treat after I first talk about the many benefits:
- High Cholesterol: A 2006 study showed evidence that vinegar could lower cholesterol.
- Diabetes: Several studies have found that vinegar may help lower glucose levels because it lowers the rise in glucose that commonly occurs after meals.
- Rich in Potassium: Helps prevent brittle teeth, hair loss and runny noses, also key for growth, building muscles, transmission of nerve impulses, and heart activity
- Calcium: helps create strong bones and teeth
- Contains ash which gives ACV its alkaline property. Ash aids your body in maintaining proper pH levels for a healthy alkaline state
- Rich in malic acid which gives Apple Cider Vinegar its anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties
- Helps improve bowel irregularity and helps to remove toxins from the body at a faster rate
- Helps clear up skin blemishes
- Bloat Reducer
- Weight loss: ACV helps with weight loss by breaking down fats so that your body can use them rather than store them
I couldn’t find any studies on this one – but some claim its an instant cure for hiccups!
Wanna get started?!
Go pick up a bottle of ACV. Make sure it’s unfiltered, not pasteurized and made from organically grown apples. It should be a cloudy dark yellow/brownish color and, if it’s not shaken, it should have a lot of cobweb like build up on the bottom of the bottle (that build up is the good stuff, it’s referred to as the “mother”). My go-to brand is Bragg. It’s sold at Whole Foods, some grocery stores and health stores. Make sure whatever kind you get that it’s not tansparent – that will give you all the bad taste and none of the benefits listed above.
Start off with 1 tablespoon in a full 8oz of water, stir it up and enjoy Please give yourself a little time to get used to the taste - it’s prety disgusting at first, but it grows on you and you will enjoy it once you start enjoying the benefits of it!
If you truly don’t think you can handle the taste – here’s an alternative drink recipe that include honey.
I try to drink that mixture 1-2 times a day. PLEASE NOTE: its not recommended to drink more than 3 tablespoons per day as its extremely acidic and could overtime cause damage to your stomach.
If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to facebook and/or email (info@extendYoga.com).
See you on the mat!