in 2015, extendYoga, became a Certified Green Business via Montgomery County’s Green Business Certification Program. It was a huge feat that we are so honored to have received.
Our customers and community were extremely proud and excited for us– as were we to share this news with them! At the same time, they were also inquiring about what exactly this means, and how to go about accomplishing something like this.
It occurred to me that there are lots of people out there that want to live a more simpler, greener, sustainable life, but don’t necessarily know how. We know we should eat healthy, exercise, and take care of our minds and bodies; but can we take it one step further and care for where we live (our planet, our Earth) as much as we do our physical bodies?
The answer is YES! And it’s actually very simple.
Check out some small changes that you can make in your day to day, that will help make a big difference:
START SMALL & SIMPLE WITH CHANGES YOU CAN MAKE YOUR DAILY LIFE:
- Cleaning products: make the switch to eco-friendly cleaning products that are not only great for you and your family, but for the environment (that’s your soaps, detergents, cleaners, etc.).
Great Eco-brands: Meyers, Seventh Generation, J. R. Watkins, The Honest Company (can be found at almost any grocery/large retail store) ps- these brands are also all cruelty free!
- More on cleaning: ditch the all the paper towels and floor sweeper pads (Swiffer ring a bell?). Use washable, reusable towels and sweeper pads.
- Time for new bulbs… go with LED lighting throughout your home. Save time (they last longer), save money and oh yea, good for the planet!
- Don’t forget your reusable shopping bags. Avoid plastic and paper bags (and save on the Montgomery County bag tax too!) when you shop. Bring your own bags and avoid adding to landfills.
- Just say no to plastic water bottles! Use reusable bottles/thermoses. Grab one that is insulated that you can use for hot and cold beverages.
- Watch out for vampire energy: unplug appliances/electronics each night or when not in use.
Eco-tip: if it has a clock, an always-on light, or is warm when not in use, unplug it. Here’s an easy one: unplug your cell phone charger when you’re not using it.
- OK we know this. But don’t forget about the not so obvious recyclable stuff too. Like: cardboard boxes, batteries, electronics, clothing, ink cartridges, and more.
THIS IS FUN! WANT A LITTLE MORE?
- Consider switching your home to a more sustainable/renewable energy source; like wind power. It’s VERY simple and the cost difference is minimal– we’re talking a few dollars per YEAR. Make a quick phone call to your current power provider (like Pepco, in the DMV area). Or go to Clean Choice Energy.
Eco-tip: you don’t have to own your home to switch to wind power! As long as you have an electric bill, you’re good to switch.
Eco-fact: Switching to clean power is the equivalent of planting three city blocks of forest. Switch one hundred homes to clean power and we on our way to creating another central park.
- Have no fear – The Compost Crew is here! Now, composting your more-than-just-food, has never been easier. Place your food scraps, coffee grounds, tea bags, paper, paper towels and other compostable goods in the bin that is provided and the Crew picks it up. Help with reducing greenhouse gas emissions, waste management and putting the nutrients from our food scraps back into the earth. Learn more about The Compost Crew here.
- Switch to energy efficient appliances. The next time you are looking to remodel/update your home, make sure to check out energy efficient appliances, HVAC systems, lighting/fans, etc.
ECO-FRIENDLY PRO? TRY THIS NEXT LEVEL STUFF:
- Use the sun to power your home; why not?! Solar power provides clean, affordable energy. What’s the environmental impact? A lot.
Eco-fact: The average solar power system will offset 178 tons of CO2 over 30 years. That’s like avoiding 390,300 miles driven, planting 10 football fields full of trees or eliminating 174,907 pounds of burned coal. Check out more from SolarCity.
And guess what? Many of us can enjoy the benefits of solar power for FREE! Check out incentrives to swtich to solar in your neighborhood: solarpowerrocks.com/maryland/.
- Spread the word. Do you see coworkers/friends/family liter or bypass recycling bins and throw recyclables in the trash? Do you have a friend that always doubles up on bags when checking out? Does your workplace offer recycling? Speak up! Make a difference. Save our planet!
Check out all the ways that your favorite yoga studio operates and stays green each and every day!